Center for Immuno-Oncology, University Hospital of Siena
The Center for Immuno-Oncology (CIO) is a multidisciplinary entity of the Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese (AOUS), established in 2017 by the AOUS to allow clinical and pre-clinical researchers to operate in a highly integrated, comprehensive scientific environment dedicated to cancer immunotherapy.
The CIO has 4 fundamental structural units: the clinical facilities of Medical Oncology and Immunotherapy, the Clinical Research unit for clinical trials, the Translational Laboratories dedicated to the activities supporting the clinical trial programs, and the Pre-Clinical Laboratories dedicated to basic research (located at MRC).
Main activities of the Center are:
- Clinical and experimental immunotherapy of solid malignancies.
- Immunomonitoring of patients treated within clinical trials of cancer immunotherapy.
- Epigenetic regulation of immune-related mechanisms involved in tumor progression and resistance to immunotherapy.
- Immunomodulatory activity of new epigenetic drugs to identify new partners for immunotherapy protocols.
- Therapeutic efficacy of new bio-immunotherapeutic agents and their combinations to evaluate their anti-tumor activities.